Wednesday, August 11, 2010

English hospitality

One thing that is quite different from Scandinavia is the genuine hospitality and friendliness towards strangers shown by the English folk to newcomers like me. I hadn't even begun working at the London office before getting invited to the local pub for a few pints of Engine Oil. Which is a strong and dark kind of beer you don't require a lot of to get drunk...

And I got positively surprised when my colleague asked me to come over to his local pub, when he understood that I otherwise would sit alone in my house without furniture and without anyone to talk to. Skype is a lot, but not a real substitute for meeting people...

The local pub I got invited to. It is normally quite crowded.

So a nice afternoon, where I got to meet with lots of new and interesting people, all very open to new aquaintancies. I even got invited to play on the pub's Cricket team. Which I didn't do, to ensure everyones safety...

And the colleagues, most residents of Guildford, our neighbors and other people I meet are happy to let me get to know them and where to go and what to do. This country is a good place to meet nice people in and they really make me feel welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment