Saturday, August 28, 2010

Guess how much I love you

Today was a day of roaming Guildford. And Guildford is a really nice town. It has got all the shops you need, and then some. And it has got all the coffee-shops, restaurants, theaters, sports facilities and cricket fields you can possibly want. And the towns setting is really pleasant, with the river Wey running through it, creating a nice lung in the middle of town.



We went shopping and lunching, dropping Leon off at his hideout commanding his Orks to glory against Nekron monoliths.



And when having done all that, Ina and Oliver decided that they wanted to see "Guess how much I love you" at the Yvonne Arnaud theatre by the river. A really good play for the kids getting to learn new words and get to move about during the play. Both of them actually understood most of what was said, and we decided that children's theatre plays must be the optimal way to learn more English.

Funnily enough, we met another Swedish family at the theatre. The sat just in front of us, and seemed a pleasant family. Oliver said: "Look, dad, another Swedish family!" and then "Now I can't say anything rude, can I?"... And the children of the other family said "Lets go where the other Swedes are going" when we left the theatre.


It is interesting that the UK seems to attract so many Swedes. It is more the rule than the exception that I hear Swedish spoken at Sainsbury's. And we managed to meet a Swedish couple the first night the family went out to eat at Zizzi's - the Guildford branch of a chain of Italian restaurants.

I guess that quite a lot of the Swedes in Guildford have something to do with the UK Ericsson HQ being here. And the UK perception of Swedes is quite positive. All I have heard is that we are good, efficient when working, and impossible to drink under the table.

Some of our violent Viking history hasn't gone unnoticed though. When I told the people I work with that I had hit someone with a dart, they dryly stated that it was probably in my nature, and that I should get my accent to sound more like Carl-Henric Svanberg's or Svennis', thus warning people that I am Swedish...

No comments:

Post a Comment