Saturday, August 21, 2010

Smile, you're on camera!

The UK must be the country in the world with the greatest surveillance camera coverage. Everywhere you go, you are sure to be filmed.



I haven't yet decided if I like it or not. It is a bit weird to think that every step I take is recorded, and that my car got into some vehicle database the second I drove on to the ferry in Calais and is now tracked every time I drive on the main roads or in London.

Who is watching all the film recorded by the cameras? It must be the most boring job you can have. And as the total number of surveillance cameras in the UK is estimated to be 4.2 million with over 500 000 in private premises in London alone, I guess they need quite a few people to go through all the recordings if they need to.

That someone is watching was obvious when I once heard a voice from the PA system at one of the London airports saying "Please respect that this is a non-smoking airport" when a gentleman lit a cigarette. When he didn't obey, probably thinking that it was a recorded message and not directed at him, the voice got more determined "Please extinguish your cigarette." The man looked up, clearly confused. "Yes, you in the white coat". That was it. The man threw his cigarette away and looked extremely guilty...

Well, I am in the process of learning how to live like the locals, so I have decided to create my own CCTV solution at home. The practical use for it is to monitor the squirrel that finds its way into the house at night.

There is quite a lot of software that turns a computer with webcam into a surveillance system, so I downloaded and set one up and placed the computer strategically, setting it to record on movement. I hope I'll be able to share some images of the squirrel on the blog soon. So my little furry friend: Smile, you're on camera!

1 comment:

  1. Well, I look forward to look at the images of a smiling squirrel!

    ReplyDelete